Saturday 11 September 2010

Japandroids Halt Nosedive


Japandroids have kept their word with releasing outtakes from fantastic 2009 LP Post Nothing as 7"s, with covers as their B-sides. Its been well documented how much I love Post Nothing, how much I loved their gig at Madame Jojo's last year, how much I want to see them again...and how disappointed I have been in these 7". Here's my post on previous record Younger Us, which at least had a semblance of comparison with the album they were cut from - I didnt even bother with first cut Art Czars...

But I will continue to take each cut at face value, and I must say that Heavenward Grand Prix seems to be somewhat of a return of form. I still feel like the higher production values actually takes away from the inherent nature of what makes Japandroids...well, Japandroids. It also has a good B side (that's one thing that hasnt changed), a spazzy version of PJ Harvey's 'Shame'.

They arent just resting on their laurels either, with continual touring alongside other brilliant acts such as The Walkmen, Frog Eyes, A Place To Bury Strangers and The Thermals, right through to the fringes of winter. Enough to warm the cockles of any old soul.

Japandroids - Heavenward Grand Prix

No comments:

Post a Comment