Wednesday 22 September 2010

It was noisy When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth


I've been sitting on this post so long its practically on the verge of evolving...

Back in August on one of my lunchtime trips down to Ladbroke Grove to hunt vinyl with my mate Joel (Intoxica is my favorite haunt), I picked up this stupidly limited 12" by Austin's When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth from Rough Trade West (I prefer West, reminds me of the old Rough Trade shop).

Super limited to 100 copies, out on Black Labs (an off shoot to Riot Season), When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth's third L.P Peaced signals a bit of a move on for the now five-piece. The band have seemed to take a free-form turn towards noise, drenching their early work in swamp like reverb and swathes of static, rhythm, and chaos. Nice to see a band plunging head first into mess rather than clean up their act, its a dream. I couldn't put it better than the band in their own words...

"This album was recorded in our practice space in the month of April 2010. We were very drunk, and very stoned. We've recorded quite a bit of stuff before, but this recording actually captures realistically what we do and how we do it. Cheap, loud, and drunk."

You can still pick up a copy direct here, I think, taste below.

When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth - Closet Athlete

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I havent heard these guys before, and am instantly aurally Stockholm Syndrome-ed...

    ReplyDelete