Wednesday 4 February 2015

Better Than A Pile of Birthday Fish


Another Feb the 4th, another birthday. Yay. It's dark outside, I'm on my way to work while the rest of the world sleeps (well there are heaps awake but let's keep this dramatic, OK?) I need something to get me over the line. Let's Pile it on then.

The Boston quartet have released another cut from their upcoming album You're Better Than This (out through Exploding In Sound/Fierce Panda Records), and 'Mr Fish' is effortlessly fitful, drawn-out, restless, spaced out, sparse, and crowded. You can't be called Pile if you can't pile it all in to one song. Rick Maguire's agitated-soporific drawl echoes across the bar as he rips out a story of broken thoughts, dreams, glasses - shit I don't know. The sinuous musicianship ripples within itself, turning itself inside out as it chugs and churns, a kaleidoscope of teeth-grinding dexterity that comes from manic expression. Dripping was - is - one of my favourite albums of the past few years, and I cannot fucking wait till this record comes out. If these guys aren't big by the end of this year, it'll be a bloody shame - this is what Modest Mouse used to be to me, and as far as I can say, that is the highest praise I can give this.

Today is gonna be a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment