Tuesday 14 December 2010

2010's Re-Discoveries...by Secret Knives

Ash Smith AKA Secret Knives has had a strong year, with a lot of coverage surrounding his great debut release Affection. I asked if he wanted to contribute a list to our little collective. He has already contributed to great Kiwi blog Einstein Music Journal (a very interesting list too I might add), so he wanted to go in a different direction...

"I generally find doing a top 5 of the year doesn't accurately reflect listening habits because I spend more time listening to things that were not released in 2010."

Top 5 musical "discoveries" of 2010:

1. Discovering Slowdive's Pygmalion
2. Rediscovering Weezer's Pinkerton
3. Discovering Slint's Spiderland
4. Rediscovering Arcade Fire's 'Broken Window' (from Keep The Car Running 7")
5. Discovering Cocteau Twin's Heaven or Las Vegas

5 albums I never stopped listening to:

1. MF DOOM - Is Viktor Vaughn Vaudeville Villain
2. Burial - Untrue
3. The Chameleons - What Does Anything Mean? Basically...
4. The Cure - Wish
5. Grouper - Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill

Thanks Secret Knives! And cos Im loving these albums myself (its your fault I cant get 'Miranda' or 'Heavy Water/ Id Rather Be Sleeping' out of my head!) - here's a Secret Knives Christmas mixtape!!!


And, as a final special treat, here is a remix of Secret Knives' 'Black Hole' by equally exciting NZ act Glass Vaults! Merry Christmas from the Land of the Long White Cloud!

3 comments:

  1. just discovering slint!? man, where have you been!?
    (lil behind, but a great discovery no-the-less!)
    -side note: if you're not already familiar and you really like slint. also check out both rodan and squirrel bait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same, but then I thought that Ash was in an enviable position - imagine being able to re-discover Spiderland for the first time? Oh to go back to that day - it was a perfect day. I was late too - I found them in 2006... Also in total agreeance about Rodan. Havent heard Squirrel Bait though - so thats where Im off to now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/2/11 23:17

    http://soundcloud.com/toffeecookies/sunrisesunsetii

    ReplyDelete