Wednesday 21 August 2013

Tuning Your Cousin Ain't For Regular People...


Totally accidental, but Wednesday is all about the instrumental Brit bands. It was a no-brainer that I would talk about That Fucking Tank's new offering, but I stumbled over Alternate Tunings For Regular People last night and was enthralled. The band in question - Brighton trio Cousin - put out an EP last year And Other Relations that I really liked, so I'm not sure how I missed this. Alternate Tunings... is an EP that ticks most of my mandatory boxes - tight, intricate guitarwork, incessant grooves, a rhythm that doesn't know how to quit so beats the shit out of you instead, a melodicism that is infused with equal parts sunshine, narcotics and playful disdain - you can tell there is some major Polvo punishing going on behind closed doors here. Their penchant for intriguing, often amusing titles still stands too, with 'Post Relationship Feedback Form' my particular pick. Its a great little release from a great little band - worth breaking some taboos over...

You can get the EP on 12" vinyl through Fcking The Night here.


No comments:

Post a Comment